Yesterday, I was only halfway done with the wallpaper mural on the main wall of my studio, but I can’t wait to see what it looks like. And it was totally worth the extra time, effort and money to switch this wallpaper from a small, dark design to this large, bright design.
I was thinking of showing you until the wallpaper is all up and the window trim is reinstalled, but I realize it will take a while for that to happen. I won’t explain why now, but I decided to finish the wallpapering, then install the cabinets, then the countertops, then re-install the window trim. We’ll talk about that later, but if you wait until the window trim is complete before you let us know, it’s going to be a long wait.
So I’m going to show you the unfinished installation of the mural so you can see the progress and the new design and get excited with me. 😀 I’ll let you know how it goes this morning.
Don’t you think it’s great! I absolutely love it!it was totally worth it To redo this wall!
As a refresher, I created this design myself, but had to overcome some difficulties to get Spoonflower to print it. Since it’s a two-part design (meaning his one iteration of the design spans his two widths of wallpaper)…
…rather than the standard wallpaper (one repeat of the design spans one width of the wallpaper)…
…The process of designing, printing and applying was a little different than the standard Spoonflower wallpaper.
As explained earlier, Spoonflower’s system isn’t actually set up to print murals. Print standard wallpaper only, and print the wallpaper so that the seams overlap approximately 3/4 inch. And they do it by taking 3/4 inch of the design on the left side of the wallpaper and printing it on the right side of the wallpaper.
But again, this is a two-part mural, so I didn’t want it to be on the edge of the piece either. So his extra 3/4 inch design that automatically prints on the right edge is a match for nothing. This meant I had to trim the small white strip on the left side of each piece and the white strip and excess print on the right side of each piece before I attached anything.
I started in the middle of the wall because I wanted to make sure the large pink and dark purple flowers hit near the middle of the wall. As long as these two wheels were front and center, I didn’t care about the other flowers.
I think I had 5 installed before I went to sleep. That means there are 3 more left. I wanted to finish it all last night, but I was exhausted and wanted to sleep.
But look. Can you see that I’m standing across the room and they still look like flowers? Standing all the way to the back door, it looks like a colorful flower.
Although not so much before. With standard wallpaper and a smaller design, some of the flowers looked like clumps when viewed from across the room. Also, there was so much repetition that the design seemed overly complex.
With fewer repetitions, larger flowers, and brighter colors, the designs are less complicated.
This room is not easy to work with because there is a lot of work to be done, but if you can install the cabinets, you will have some breathing space here and it will not feel cramped and chaotic. I think. And in fact, instead of stacking everything on boxes, desks, and work tables, you’ll be able to put things in cabinets and drawers. It’s almost time to install the cabinets!
In Addicted 2 Decorating, I share my DIY and decorating journey of modifying and decorating a 1948 Fixer upper that my husband Matt and I purchased in 2013. Matt does most of her work because she has MS and she cannot do physical labor. I do my own housework. You can learn more about me here.