The last time I wrote about my basement design project, I had just finished painting the basement stairs. This change made a huge difference. This was the first of several updates I wanted to make to the basement stairwell.
Today I will write about the latest update of the basement design project. That’s the wallpaper we chose for our basement atrium.
Read on to learn more about why I chose this wallpaper pattern.
Ottoline wallpaper chosen for the basement stairs
I chose a bold and unique wallpaper pattern from Ottoline. bloomsbury stripe. I love how it looks like colors, scales and stripes, but with a big twist. This wallpaper is installed on the upper wall of the basement atrium, extending from the ceiling to the painted wood panels. I think this wallpaper will make a big impact even in small spaces such as powder rooms and hallways.
Here’s why I chose this Ottoline wallpaper
It was really difficult to choose this wallpaper because there are so many design elements around where it will be installed. Stairs lead directly to the kitchen dining area, entry hallway from the garage, guest bathroom and Birdie’s room (formerly the guest room). I had to think about how the wallpaper would tie in with the design of each room. We also had to consider how the wallpaper would blend in with the adjacent materials, mainly the texture of the marble floors and wood paneling on the walls. Any wallpaper pattern on the same scale as the panel felt out of place, as did patterns that were too organic, like marble stripes.
At first, I was thinking of wallpaper with small dots, but I ended up coming back to this zigzag stripe. ottolin pattern. Some of the scales and colors of this wallpaper pattern combine very well with the adjacent wood and marble materials. It acts as a great bridge between all the different design elements. It also works as a nice background for the color of your kitchen cabinets.
The next step in your basement design project
Here is the list of upcoming updates: Most of it will be done this summer.
- Install Ottoline wallpaper at the top of the basement stairs.
- Add a new light fixture to the top of the stairs.
- Install new stair runners.
- Install a new railing in the stairwell.
- Bring some more furniture and decorations into the basement family room. Some of the items I ordered this month have arrived! Family rooms are already transformed, in the best sense of the word.
- Update the wine room (more details on this room can be found in this post). Do a lime wash finish or paint the bricks, update the light fixtures and update the plumbing.