Which drawer organizers and inserts are best for your IKEA kitchen design?
More homeowners than ever are designing all-drawer IKEA kitchens, which means drawer organizers are more important than ever. With hundreds of organization options to choose from, where do you start?
If you have an IKEA kitchen, it makes sense to start with IKEA. However, many of our customers do not want to be dictated by the first host they meet. The Rev-A-Shelf line of innovative drawers and drawer organizers offers more functionality and usable storage space than IKEA alternatives.
Read the article below to find out why IKD customers prefer Rev-A-Shelf drawer organizers over IKEA.
IKEA personalized kitchen design
Created by Certified Designers
- RAS Double Knife Block vs. UPPDATRA Tray with Knife RackIn this case size matters. IKEA’s UPPDATRA tray with knife rack holds 4 knives. If you have a few favorites, IKEA’s in-drawer knife storage might be enough. However, we prefer the design with the Rev-A-Shelf Double Knife Block (4WDKB-1) that can store up to 55 knives. If you have a professional set or even a basic countertop knife block that you want off your counter, UPPDATERA can’t do it for you.
For those customers who think the double knife block offers too much storage, the Rev-A-Shelf insert (4WKB-1) holds 19 knives and the super-convenient knife holder/cutting board combo (4KCB-419HFLSC ) are also designed. -1) Holds about 8 knives.
“When IKD and I were discussing design goals, it came down to wanting less stuff on the counters in our new kitchen. Albert designed an entire organizational system with Rev-A-Shelf and we were sold.” – Tessa, IKD Customer
- RAS Wood Spice Drawer Insert vs. Tray with UPPDATERA Spice RackDiversity is the spice of life. That’s why the IKD designer designs with the Rev-A-Shelf Spice Drawer Organizer (4SDI-36-1) instead of his IKEA UPDATERA tray. The RAS insert he has three sizes and the finish is walnut or maple. Fits up to 36″ wide drawers and can be trimmed to fit smaller sizes.
UPPDATRA is a small tray insert made of white plastic or bamboo. The average width of a spice jar is about 2 inches. That means you can have about 12 spices in one UPPDATRA tray. If you only stock the basics, the size may be right for you. However, most customers like to spice things up and the Rev-A-Shelf insert holds up to 48 jars.
“One of our favorite Rev-A-Shelf inserts is the spice rack. It gave us what we wanted and we no longer hate cooking.” – Fred, IKD customer
- RAS Wooden Cutlery Tray Inserts vs. UPPDATRA Flatware TraysWhen it comes to cutlery and utensil trays, IKEA goes even further. Available in the usual color options (white and bamboo), but with multiple sizes and configurations to choose from. Mix and match trays and inserts to create customized utensil inserts, or purchase pre-designed utensil trays. The UPPDATRA bamboo tray has a removable insert that allows you to change the size of the compartment.
Still, most customers prefer functional design solutions that look like custom-built for drawers. Turn to Rev-A-Shelf, which carries cutlery and utensil trays made from maple and walnut. Depending on the size of your drawer, you can combine multiple of his RAS inserts such as knife block inserts, spice inserts and even stainless steel foil inserts (4FWI-16SS-1). The Wood Cutlery Tray Insert (4WCT-1) comes in multiple sizes and is designed to be trimmed to fit the width of your drawer.
None of IKEA’s trays offer this level of functionality or integration.
“We updated the kitchen, but we had extra budget to update the organizer. IKD took care of that part of the design process. We didn’t want to end up with a messy drawer when we built this lovely new kitchen.The Rev-A-Shelf cutlery organizer It makes our drawers look like they were made for us.” –Marie, IKD customer
BONUS: RAS Drawer Organizer for Home Office
The kitchen may always be the most popular room for IKEA’s SEKTION cabinets and MAXIMERA drawer designs, but home offices benefit from the organized storage and sense of calm Rev-A-Shelf brings to IKEA designs. I guess.
We enjoy utilizing the following drawer inserts in our home office designs from IKEA.
- Maxx Drawer (4WTMD-24HSC-1): This 2-tier drawer is made for organizing pens, pencils, clips, stationery, and other office essentials that normally end up in a junk drawer. When the drawer is fully extended, the first compartment layer folds into his two parts, revealing another level of compartments underneath.
- charging drawer (4WCDB-18HFLSC-1): Modern home offices need technology, and technology needs charging cables. Rev-A-Shelf’s charging drawer holds a laptop or several smaller devices such as phones, tablets and smartwatches. Choose from USB outlets in the drawer or a combination of standard and USB charging ports.
- pull-out file drawer system (RAS-FDSM-DM15-1): Designed for 18″ base cabinet drawer with 1.5″ face frame, perfect solution for hanging file storage in your home office.
Bonus: RAS drawer organizer for the bathroom
The bathroom is another area where Rev-A-Shelf and IKEA shine. Organize his MAXIMERA drawer for the bathroom in several ways with the Rev-A-Shelf.
Here are three RAS bathroom products we love.
- vanity drawer organizer inserts (4VCOS-22-1): This is another example of the Rev-A-Shelf’s trim-to-fit wonders. This insert is specially designed for storing cosmetics and hair care products and includes his two compartments with transparent lids that can hold items such as cotton balls and cotton swabs.
- dressing table drawer (4VDO-15SC-1): Rev-A-Shelf tiered vanity drawers come in a variety of sizes and configurations. Compartments and acrylic dividers are perfect for storing everything from nail polish to clippers.
- vanity outlet drawer (4VOD-18FLSC-1): This drawer not only stores your hair dryer, curling iron and clippers, but also provides a place to slip them in. We are big fans of these organized multitasking.
IKD uses the Rev-A-Shelf organizer in its IKEA kitchen design.
Comment “The IKEA organizer meets the basic functions, but we believe that if you upgrade your kitchen, you need to upgrade the way you organize your kitchen. There are better and more innovative alternatives to utensil trays and spice storage: Rev-A-Shelf makes working in the kitchen easier and gives you more time and energy to enjoy your home. –IKD’s Mike
Get Professional IKEA Kitchen Designs Online
Work with one of our certified kitchen designers to get a personalized kitchen designed to suit your needs and vision. If you want to learn more about our services, be sure to check out our IKEA kitchen design services.