Why We Love This Outdoor Chaise Lounge
We originally built this project for a rental property, but the results were so good that we had to keep it to ourselves. It is a very versatile item. Here’s why we love it:
- With no moving parts, there is less to break and maintain. Instead of the back reclining, the base is long enough to become a bed on its own. Just line up your pillows and you’ve got the perfect back support.
- Versatile – Can be used as an outdoor sofa or as a sectional.
- easy to build
- Simple style goes well with most other items
- Can be dyed or painted in various colors
Watch: Create a Video of Outdoor Chaise Lounges
what did you use for the cushion?
For cushioning, we used a 30″ x 75″ foam cot mattress. I bought mine at Fred Meyer (a Kroger chain store similar to Walmart). The foam should expel the water. Amazon has a lot of options for buying a “crib size mattress”.
On top of that, I layered the padding for outdoor use and sewed a cushion cover. Here’s a great tutorial for sewing a box cushion cover. (I’m not a sewing expert, so I’ll leave that to a sewing expert.)
More cushion options
This plan can be easily adapted to work with cushions of different sizes. There are several options to consider.
- twin mattress – Use foam, waterproof, or waterproof covers. You can use the twin daybed cover or the twin fitted sheet. Spray with waterproof fabric spray to protect (Scotchgard).
- 3 deep seat cushions – Deep seat cushions are a great choice and already covered. Some come with pillows. Measure your cushion size and adjust the cut accordingly.
- chaise longue cushions – Yes, it works. However, consider that the backrest does not recline, so the cushions may have cuts in odd positions.
What kind of wood do you use for your outdoor furniture?
The best choice for lumber is Douglas fir 2×4 lumber. I like this one better than cedar. This is because cedar is a denser wood and with proper finishing it will be more durable over time.
Cedar is recommended for the slats. Yes, you can use a cedar fence picket, but make sure you fill it with sand.
You can also use cedar or pine, but follow the instructions on the stain can to continue and repaint the wood finish.
What finish should I use for my outdoor furniture?
Choose outdoor stains that are used on decks, siding and fences. For a “painted” look, use an opaque stain of the desired color. Avoid film-forming paints or clear polycoats, as the wood can crack and peel as it expands and contracts with moisture.
Exterior stains can be easily recoated to keep your projects looking great and protected for years to come.
Free plan to build your own chaise longue
Here are the free plans to build your own chaise lounge: Please send me a photo when you’re done. We look forward to seeing how your project turns out!